I have completed yet another project. In the pasts I had been working with models of 1:100 to 1:250, yet this one is different because it is 1:64. My expectation, like many other modelers do, is the level of details required when working with such scale. I put in a little twist here with some colors in the model. This is the first time I was working with this scale.
I have started this model about eight weeks ago, something I did to prove some points. Firstly, as a inspiration to a younger audience, especially my daughter. I wanted to lead by example to create some interest and do-able activities in the house itself. Secondly, I wannted to challenge my level of discipline and motivation. Not that I am not a discipline person, I just wanted to see how I am keeping my schedule despite my heavy day and weekend jobs! I wanted to more also, just to motivate myself to push the boundary further.
It wasn’t easy right from the thoughts of doing it! I try to recount here the journey that I have taken.
The thought of doing it.
The first thing was doing research on McDonald’s restaurants around the world. The most useful tool here is the internet, searching on how a common McDonald’s restaurant looks like. I wasn’t keen on the fancy types, the nostalgic feel, the strange looking type and those futuristic ones posted by so many people. I am more keen on a more representative one, one that is easilt recognizable as “McDonald’s”.
Searching for the right color schemes had enlightened me (honestly), with cherry red, black, grey, white, dark green and even yellow-orange colors seemed to be used in McDonald’s world wide! I was careful in using the colors to make the model real, downloaded most of the colors from Google image. Next was the logos; ranging from the legendary “M”, “McCafe” and “McDonald’s” (all rights reserved by McDonald’s Inc); pretty interesting to note that they were necessary to keep the model real. (in this finished model, the “M” came from a fires box I cut)
Also, size matters. I did some research on a typical size for a McDonald’s restaurant. In Malaysia, they ranges from a thousand to three thousand five square feet. I have planned (from the begining of a three thousand four hundrred square feet. In scale of 1:64 would be a dimension of 12″x9″ (the completed model measures 13″x10″, something like three thousand and seven hundred square feet built up)
Giving a rustic look, I have planned to include some brickworks on the exterior, which turned out so well. In the finished product, I have used a pattern fill from the Powerpoint, clever ya?
Sourcing took me a few trips to places that I knew may help but I found what I want from a shop furthest from my house. I have found some materials that was easy on the pen knife and not so time consuming to cut by hand. Yes, the entire model was build by hand. I found some PVC board that costs RM16 a piece measureing 3.5’x 2′. The tickness was about 2mm, easy on the pen knife. The entire model has used one piece with some insignifican left over.
A pen kife, a good one with a matel body costs RM15. Over priced, but OK for an investment.
Planning wasn’t easy when you are working with scale models, everything you visualise will be 64 times smaller! I dis simple draft of the model I have wanted, believe me I am not even a draftsman. But using my eyes, I manage to figure out the necessary components of a McDonald’s restaurant; from the kitchen, sitting area, outdoor, drive-thru etc. I was quite an experience and fun doing it.
I have also planned a couple of features, including a section for community involvent. An open space for the community and an opportunity for McDonald’s to engaged themselves in. More like a space for the community interaction. In their corporate website, McDoonald’s is constantly promoting community involvement.
In sustaining the environment I have also planned the usage of solar power to harness the solar heat from the roof. The 250 Watts panels, all 78 of them, are capable of supplying at least 4,000 kWs; something like 20% energy savings for the restaurant.
The tower (red one here) that also houses the signage has been intended to be rainwater harvester and can store and clean rainwater for restaurant cleaning usage. The tower is planned exceptionally large to store thirteen thousand gallons at any time, a great recycling opportunity for McDonald’s to save 40% of general cleaning water. (12’x12’x15′)
Two windows for a drive thru experience was planned, nicely tucked in a the rear of the restaurant. The challenge here is to make the real, I have to plan some contours to the building, planning where to put the brick walls and strategically placing exterior glasses.
The model building is the bigger bulk of the work, of course. Measure and cutting the PVC board by hand really require accuracy. With my older pair of eyes, it was really stressing my focus but the excitement and enjoyment of doing it superseeds the stress. Keeping them (the PVC) upright perpenticular to the ground is really a challenge, I have to use some square blocks in addition to my naked eyes. This will make sure the walls looks real. Any slanting bits will have effect on the other parts of the building and I try to minimise those errors.
The most difficult part is the exterior walls and to keep them up straight, I have to put in feeder beans inside to support them. They are enclosed and cannot be seen, but they work!
Gluing them together is not difficult if you use the right type of adhesive, those that neither too liquid nor too tought. I use a lot of weights to keep the locked. LOL, I have used type dispense, a power bank and a heavy laptop battery to keep them glued, sometimes overnight!
Here it is (99% completion). Till the next project and of course, I am not an architect (or something near). I hope you have enjoyed the view.